Thursday, June 17, 2010

School's out for summer...

Although I've been slacking on my blogging adventure, I have still been doing a lot of thinking and reflecting about life and my path. Something that has reared it's head often is going back to school... and every time the thought has come up, I've 'shushed' it and put it back on hold until it's a better time and place in my life to think about that. Well, what the hell am I waiting for?

So I allowed the thought process to begin about what exactly I would be interested in doing. The first thing that came to mind was, of course, business admin. It's what I know and have been doing most all of my working years... but I hate what I do. Day in day out, 8 - 5, the "behind a desk" monotony of it all. UG. Hmmm, time to... you guessed it, make a list. God how I love lists.

I wrote all of the things I enjoy doing and all of the things I've liked about past (and present) jobs I've held. And you know what I love? Interacting with people, story telling and being the center of attention. No no, not in a spoiled little brat way (well maybe sometimes), but I like talking to a group or crowd, voicing an opinion or making information known. Why didn't I make this list sooner???

I decided to take some time out of my extremely busy afternoon schedule (yawn) and check out the courses offered at a couple of the local colleges to see if anything tickled my fancy. And do you know what did? Journalism. Really?? Really. After looking through a bunch of course descriptions, I was surprised and thrilled to feel a weird little tingle in my belly when I started reading about the Journalism course. None of the others had done that for me... not even the culinary course (which is what I was originally thinking of). There are so many options with this study outside of just writing... media, broadcasting, publishing, advertising/marketing, communications/public relations... oh my! I had no idea, but then again I never thought to look :)
This is all definitely a process and there are no choices being made right now (just some food for thought), but I needed to jot this down so I could go back and read it later and see if it still makes sense to me. Kind of exciting to feel like I made a break-through! We'll see!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Has it really been over FIVE years?!?!

Hello Blogiverse! After an unplanned 5+ year hiatus from blogging  (for no apparent reason other than being busy with other things) , here I...