Monday, September 26, 2011

Semper Paratus!!!

What a great weekend we had at the Honey's college reunion at the US Coast Guard Academy!  From the gorgeous coastal location to the hours of laughs we shared; it was just great.  Originally being from New England I was a little embarrassed to say that I had never been to Connecticut... driven through it, but never stopped by to check it out.  What a beautiful place!  I only got to see a thimble worth of the sights, but if you've never been to Mystic for a leisurely stroll, then go.  On a more important note....

I am absolutely in awe of the people I was introduced to this weekend.  I have never met a more extraordinary and successful group of men and women in my life.  The Commandant of the USCG was even there... which also gave me my first up close look at the Secret Service!  I never knew just how intense of an education and training these guys (and gals) get being in the Academy.  Impassioned and disciplined, all of the graduates have fantastic positions and careers with major companies, the government, or their own business.  It was truly inspiring to see so much talent and intelligence, combined with humility and consideration for each other, in one room.  The brotherhood and sense of family they showed was all-consuming, and I was brought to tears a few times over the expressions on their faces as they saw each other for the first time in years... some as many as 30.  It was like the time washed away and they fell right back into place with each other; hugging, laughing and a few jabs to the arm.

My recommendation, as an outsider given the opportunity to be a part of the USCGA family...  if your kids are thinking of a branch of the military, and they have the smarts and the drive, make the USCG Academy #1 on their list.  There's no doubt they will be the best of the best, with a very bright future ahead of them.

Thank you, Matt, for an amazing weekend and experience.  SEMPER PARATUS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Has it really been over FIVE years?!?!

Hello Blogiverse! After an unplanned 5+ year hiatus from blogging  (for no apparent reason other than being busy with other things) , here I...