Friday, May 14, 2010

Oh the stink of it...

My office is located within a local hospital. I'm on the 2nd floor; one level up and on the opposite side of the building from the cafeteria. And some days I can smell meat. Nasty, cooking meat.

I'm a vegetarian. I'm not a preachy, soap-box standing, finger pointing vegetarian either. What I eat is my business and what you eat is yours. But if you have any knowledge of us non-meat eaters, you understand that sometimes the smell of cooking meat (and even raw deli meat) sickens us. And I think it all depends on the what and how of the meat and the preparation of it.

Here's my random/daily dilemma... when they cook burgers, sausage, or anything that's not very lean and offers up a lot of grease, I can somehow smell it in my office. Yes, the office that's a million miles away from the cafeteria. Now, I've been working here for 2 months and have yet to understand how in the hell that stink can permeate the halls and walls, into my little sanctuary of an office. And today it hit me... literally, like a ton of bricks... or a pallet of ground beef. As I walked toward the window, under which sits the A/C vent, I was overwhelmed by the hot, thick, sticky, stench of meat grease. It was like I pulled up a chair in a diner and started talking to the short order cook with the shaggy hair cut and cigarette hanging out of his mouth. I'm guessing that the A/C intake must be by the kitchen, and it's sucking in and belting out some of the most vile stench I have ever encountered... right into my office. I'm beginning to wonder if the meat they're cooking isn't downright expired it stinks so horribly, lol.

I shared this tidbit of my day with a fellow veggie, who was sad for me and getting nauseated by the overly descriptive emails I was sending. After quite a bit of deliberating over how I can alleviate the stink (due to there not being an on/off option in this office) my A/C vent is now covered by boxes of manila folders, mail parcels, and various office supplies to try and block the flow of air. And it worked.. well, a little.

Thank you B, for giving me something to laugh at for the rest of my day. To the average Joe walking by my open door, it just looks like I've got crap stacked on my window ledge... but we all know the truth, lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Has it really been over FIVE years?!?!

Hello Blogiverse! After an unplanned 5+ year hiatus from blogging  (for no apparent reason other than being busy with other things) , here I...