Thursday, May 13, 2010

When I grow up, I want to be...

When I was a kid the answer to this was easy. I wanted to be a jockey. But I wasn't passionate about it. Seems I wasn't passionate about anything as far as my career path goes. And I'm sad to report that I still haven't figured out what my dream is... what I aspire to be or do. Now, to say that I don't have dreams would be wrong. I have many, just like anyone else. But in regards to employment/career/livelihood, I guess I never thought I'd still be wondering "what should I be doing with my life" when I got to this age.

I've held some pretty cool full-time jobs (bartender, wine shop manager, warranty manager for a major home builder) and I've taken some pretty crappy part-time jobs (telemarketing, Merry Maid, hostess at Wendy's... yes they used to have those) in my twenties, trying to keep the bills paid. I know some people that have had tens of jobs in their life (and still counting) and some that have had only one. And I don't envy either. I'm really blessed to have had the experience of my handful of jobs, in different industries, meeting different people, and in different situations. In every position I held, I've dealt with the public in some way, shape, or form, and I truly feel it is a huge part of what has made me how I am today... approachable, friendly, warm, sympathetic. So, I'm not denouncing the employment choices I made or the path I took... but I'm ready to find my niche. The something or someplace that makes me excited to leave the house each day, and look forward to returning the next.

But how do you narrow down what you like? I like a LOT of stuff, lol, and if you know me pretty well, you know that I think life is very 'shiny' (... ooohh, look a pony! SQUIRREL!). And for that I'm glad. I try to notice everything... cool looking trees, a field full of goats (god, I love goats), an eerie sunset, or a humorous sign at the local Maryland Chicken. I have spent the last 10 years of my 'job' life behind a desk... some of the time pretty cool, but albeit still behind a desk. One thing I know? I need interaction. People or animals or nature on some level. My mind is deteriorating sitting in front of this life-sucking screen, day in... day out. I am sick to tears over wishing for the end of the day to get here. That's like wishing my life away! I don't want any of it to rush by, so why not be doing something that make my days worthwhile and meaningful to me. I deserve that. We ALL deserve that.

So holy crap... what the hell am I going to do, LOL. Time to make a pros & cons list... a like it, love it, can't live without it list. I'll keep you posted... of course! Why else am I on a blog :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Has it really been over FIVE years?!?!

Hello Blogiverse! After an unplanned 5+ year hiatus from blogging  (for no apparent reason other than being busy with other things) , here I...